Radstock and Westfield Big Local began the year with another very successful Dragons' Den style event:
“Dragons' Den 2 - The Dragon returns” - the results!!
Community groups show how many good ideas & great projects there are around in the area
Radstock and Westfield Big Local were been thrilled to receive 17 ideas from groups and individuals who were ‘in it to win it’ at the Dragons Den 2 on Friday 30th January.
With a simple application form & the only requirement that the ideas should benefit people in Radstock & Westfield it is an ideal way of supporting new ideas & giving them that first step on the funding ladder.
After applicants prepared displays about their projects they had the chance, in 90 seconds, to explain why they should get the money. Then the dragons were able to quiz them !!
Once all the ‘pitches’ had been made then it was down to local residents to decide who should get the 10 awards of £500.
The winners were:
- Swallows - social events for disabled people, the money will be used pay for a summer trip to the seaside for members
- Kezzie Burt – Zumbini classes for toddlers
- Ev Robinson – setting up a new befriending service for lonely older people who are isolated in their homes
- Radstock Junior Club – the money will be spent on an outdoor pursuits residential trip
- The Community Bus: the money will be spent on school holiday play schemes in Radstock and Westfield
- Westfield Sports and Community Centre – the club will be applying for charitable status so that they can better apply for grant funding
- Dial-a-Ride – expenses & petrol for volunteer drivers to take people to hospital & GP appointments if the mini buses are unavailable or it's uneconomic to use them
- Radstock Museum – an exhibition on a history of transport in the area
- Made for You – providing arts and craft sessions for people with cancer
- Prattens Social club: carpeting for the lobby entrance flooring
The ideas all aim to improve the communities in Radstock and Westfield. The range show just how many great ideas there are out there.
There was £5,000 of funding up for grabs, with the maximum bid being £500.
Sarah Westell, the Big Local Community Worker said “it was a really successful evening, more people turning up than last year with everyone getting into the spirit of the event, it was exciting and fun filled. With the confirmation of the £1,000,000 the Big Local is already having a positive impact within our community”.
Robin Moss, chair of the Big Local Partnership said "another very good showcase of what great ideas & projects we have in Westfield & Radstock. It's a shame there are some groups who missed out, but giving the final say to local residents is a good principle, with the number of people attending up on last year. I'm sure this will become a regular event on the Big Local calender"
"It is also very good news that the National Lottery are happy with our plan for how we want to spend the £1,000,000. It's taken a time to jump through all the hoops, with the paperwork & consultations, but it has been worth it. Interestingly the Lottery seem to have changed the process for future Big Locals in other parts of the country, making it simpler & quicker, but I suppose we had to expect that, being a guinea pig. It is good that our idea of a Dragons Den is being used by other areas!"